Lance Coleman-Wilson, MSS, LSW
About the instructor
Lance graduated from Lincoln University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelors of Science degree in Human Services and a double minor in Sociology and Psychology. Lance then went forward and obtained his Masters of Social Service (MSW) degree in Clinical Social Work from Bryn Mawr College. Professionally, he has worked with/for organizations that cater towards the LGBTQ* individuals local to the Greater Philadelphia region. Lance formerly held the title of HIV/Medical Case Manager and later transitioned to local University Hospitals in Philadelphia where he worked as a medical social worker, specializing in orthopedics and neuroscience. In Lance’s current role he acts as a Neuroscience Social Worker who specializes in Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders. Outside of the medical realm Lance has also facilitated discussions and guest lectured at several universities in Philadelphia and its surrounding areas.
This course should particularly benefit individuals that are interested in working more effectively with the LGBTQ* identified individuals. The course offers an overview and breakdown of the vocabulary that is currently being used to identify and speak about individuals that fall within the LGBTQ* spectrum.
Relevance to Social Work:
- Up-to-date terminology used to address individuals in the LGBTQ* community
- Enhance cultural humility (cultural competence) when working with individuals that identify as LGBTQ*
- Intermittent quizzes throughout lecture
Objectives & Purpose
- Be able to list and explain with familiarity the appropriate terminology when addressing individuals who identify as LGBTQ*
- Be able to explain when it is appropriate to use certain terminology over others based on techniques learned in course
- Be able to identify and explain the difference between gender identity, biological sex, gender expression and sexual orientation
- Be able to identify and explain stigmas associated with different individuals in the LGBTQ* community
- Be able to define ways to enhance interventions when working with LGBTQ* identified individuals
Certificates will be awarded after completion of full training and course evaluation.
Radiant Sunshine, #1403, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Radiant Sunshine maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 2/28/20 to 2/28/2023 Social workers completing this course receive 3-clinical continuing education credits.
Social workers participating in these course will receive continuing education clock hours based on the course description. Certificates will be awarded after completion of full training, and course evaluation.